The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) releases the final Generic Environmental Impact Statement (GEIS) for the Continued Storage of Spent Nuclear Fuel. The document addresses the environmental impacts of continued storage of spent nuclear fuel beyond the licensed life for operations of a commercial nuclear reactor and provides a regulatory basis for the NRC’s final rule, “Continued Storage of Spent Nuclear Fuel,” which was approved in August 2014.
The final rule and GEIS were renamed by the NRC from “waste confidence” to “continued storage of spent nuclear fuel.”
The final GEIS is published in NUREG-2157, which can be found on the NRC’s website at http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/staff/.
Please contact Sarah Lopas of the NRC at (301) 287-0675 or at Sarah.Lopas (at) nrc (dot) gov for additional information regarding the final GEIS.
- RADWASTE SUMMIT MEETING, SEPTEMBER 5-7, 2017
- RADIOACTIVE WASTE TO BE HAULED THROUGH MISSISSIPPI
- DOE REOPENS THE WIPP FACILITY IN NEW MEXICO
- NRC RELEASES SECY 16-0106 REQUESTING COMMISSION APPROVAL TO PUBLISH FINAL RULE RE LLRW DISPOSAL (10 CFR PART 61)
- NRC ISSUES NEW DOCUMENTS RE DECOMMISSIONING TIMELINESS RULE IMPLEMENTATION AND ASSOCIATED REGULATORY RELIEF