CRCPD ANNOUNCES OPENING OF REGISTRATION FOR NORM IX SYMPOSIUM
The Conference of Radiation Control Program (CRCPD) recently announced that registration for NORM IX is now open. NORM IX will be hosted for the first time in the United States. The symposium will be held at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel in downtown Denver, Colorado from September 23-27, 2019.
During the conference, stakeholders will learn how Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM) is managed around the world and discuss safety and environmental impacts from NORM, as well as best practices for NORM management.
The symposium will include presentations, posters, training and roundtable sessions from industry representatives, scientists, regulators and other stakeholders.
Special Training Sessions
The following special training sessions are currently scheduled for the NORM IX symposium:
- “Cradle to Grave” NORM Management Workshop: This one-day, real-world course in managing NORM from identification to final disposition will address practical and logistical methods in managing NORM-contaminated equipment and waste. It is scheduled for Sunday (September 22, 2019). The registration fee is $350.
- Radiation Risk Assessment Training: This full-day, advanced course focuses on specific technical and regulatory issues that Remedial Project Managers (RPMs) and On-Scene Coordinators (OSC’s) address when managing Superfund sites that have a risk-assessment conducted for radioactive contaminants. It is scheduled for Sunday (September 22, 2019). The is limited space available.
- International Challenges and Solutions Related to NORM Residue and Waste Management: This special session is being organized by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)/ENVIRONET NORM Project. It is focused on providing practical guidance on establishing policies and strategies to deal with NORM waste, NORM waste inventory estimation and determination of costs associated with the management practices. Technical papers on these topics will be presented during this Tuesday afternoon session. Working sessions of the NORM Project will also be held on Monday and Friday afternoons and are open to all who wish to attend.
- IAEA Workshop on the Safe Management of NORM: This session will provide information on relevant safety standards applicable to industrial activities involving NORM and present key safety issues in terms of policy, regulatory and operational aspects. It is scheduled for Wednesday (September 25, 2019). Limited space is available.
- CRCPD Workshop – Radiation Protection in NORM Industries: Join CRCPD, state, local, national and international organizations to identify priority issues related to the handling and disposal of TENORM generated during some industrial processes. Discuss measures that can be taken to improve protection of workers and members of the public. This workshop is scheduled for Wednesday (September 25, 2019).
Interested stakeholders may view the conference announcement at https://gallery.mailchimp.com/97f7d5fba6ef7315cda63c8f0/files/8fd32a0c-36cd-4b5f-b456-c14f74aededc/NORM_IX_flyer_v3.pdf.
The preliminary conference agenda is available at https://gallery.mailchimp.com/97f7d5fba6ef7315cda63c8f0/files/7dcac048-2f9b-4c0d-a231-05dc2ebcd2c3/NORMIX_agenda9.pdf.
Registration is available at www.crcpd.org/NORMIX.
For additional information, please send an e-mail inquiry to (normix (at) crcpd (dot) org) normix (at) crcpd (dot) org.